Faculty wear many hats when it comes to their role as teacher, one of which is the role of mentor. Mentorship can take many forms from research mentor to education mentor. Serving as a mentor is a critical and complex role for our faculty and we recognize that there are several resources to help support development. Please use the resources below to help support the growth of your skills and overall development in your role as a mentor.
Title: Mentoring Skills for Faculty Who Supervise Medical Students and Residents in Research
Presenter: Leslie Laconte, Ph.D., director, Research Education, Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine
- Define the responsibilities of research mentors and mentees.
- Recognize the resources necessary for effective mentoring.
- Implement strategies for maintaining effective communication as a research mentor.
- Implement strategies for assessing understanding in a research mentee.
- Implement strategies for fostering independence in a research mentee.